Vegan Sloppy Joes
Being vegan isn’t always easy BUT it doesn't have to be bland. Thank you to everyone who asked for the recipe! Keep reading to learn how you can spice up your usual diet with my Vegan Sloppy Joes.
1 extra firm block of tofu
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 small green pepper
1 small onion
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1 packet of sloppy joe mix (I used Kroger brand)
1. Take the tofu out of the container and drain the water. Wrap the tofu between paper towels and sandwich the paper-wrapped block between two plates. Let the tofu sit for about an hour.
2. Once the tofu has been pressed, throw away the paper towels and place the tofu into a medium-sized bowl. Using your hands, crumble the tofu into a meat like texture.
3. Add the soy sauce and olive oil. Add the paprika, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin to your liking. I did about a teaspoon for all of the spices.
4. Heat a little olive oil in a large skillet and place the tofu mixture into the skillet. Using a spatula, cook until the tofu becomes browned and crispy.
Tip: You can also cook the tofu in a 350 degree oven for about 30-45 minutes.
5. While the tofu cooks, dice up both the onion and the green pepper. In total, you’ll need about 1/4 cup of both vegetables. In another skillet, add a little oil and sauté these veggies until browned.
6. Once the tofu is browned, it’s time to make banging Sloppy Joes! Add the tomato paste, 1 and 1/4 cup of water, and the packet of sloppy joe to the skillet. Stir the pan and dissolve the packet spices.
7. While this mixture begins to cook, add your sautéed green peppers and onions. Stir the skillet as needed and cook until the water is absorbed. The mixture should not be soupy.
8. Toast your favorite bread and add your delicious vegan Sloppy Joes!
Please share your version with me in the comments down below or tag me online @chloemeisner. Happy cooking!